Friday, October 8, 2010

The suicide pact.

The other day, I came across an article that really caught my attention. It was about two girls who were killed by a speeding Amtrak train in Pennsylvania. In reality it was a suicide, according to a witness and the autopsies. Vanessa Dorwart and Gina Gentile were only fifteen and sixteen when they took their own lives. A third girl was said to have planned to join them but backed out last minute. The girl said Dorwart and Gentile hugged and stepped out onto the tracks just as an Acela from Boston turned the corner. Apparently the reason for the group suicide was because Gentile's boyfriend had just recently died in a car accident and both girls were extremely upset about it. Police said they think up to seven other teens were involved in the suicide pact.
This article just really upset me, I can't understand why two young girls about my age would just suddenly take their own life over a boy. It is heart breaking that the boy died but there's no reason to die too. Friends are supposed to help each other through grievances, not just give up and end everything that is yet to come. It's terrifying how many single and group teen suicides you hear about today. It seems like there's at least one that makes it to big news every few weeks. I just can't comprehend why someone with so much time left to accomplish the world would just drop everything and take their life. I could never imagine I alone, or with a friend commiting suicide for any reason what so ever. I'm sure that if the boy wouldn't have wanted Dorwart and Gentile to jump in front of that train either..

No comments:

Post a Comment